ENGL 221 Popular Literature • 5 Cr.
Investigates the themes, conventions, and cultural assumptions of genre-based popular literature. Specific topics vary and are announced in the class schedule. Recommended: ENGL& 101 or ENGL 201 or a literature course in the 100 series.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate literal and inferential comprehension of the texts
- Pose and investigate interpretive questions on texts
- Write focused, unified and well-developed analytical papers and exam essays
- Explain the development of a given genre of popular literature from its beginnings to its contemporary practice.
- Identify genre conventions and apply them to sub-genres
- Use appropriate literary terminology in analyzing the various forms of popular literature
- Relate the sub-genres of the given literature to their cultural context
- Use various methods of literary analysis, such as formal, psychological, and/or feminist analysis/
- Demonstrate how popular literature reflects the concerns and prejudices of its own time.