ENGL 253 Writing Creative Non-fiction I • 5 Cr.
Focuses on the craft of short essay (memoir, travel essay, autobiography). Covers narration, characterization, dialogue, scene, voice and tone. Students write and critique short essays and read the work of established non-fiction writers. Suitable for beginning or experienced writers. Prerequisite: ENGL& 101 placement or higher. .
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify distinguishing characteristics of creative non-fiction
- Control sentence structure, length and word choice to create a particular mood, tone and narrative persona
- Identify subjective and objective perspectives in creative non-fiction
- Apply literary devices to personal experience to develop a theme
- Apply literary devices to personal experiences/perspectives to create narrative veracity
- Explore subjects and theme using variations of subjective and objective perspective
- Critique, revise and edit works in progress