ENGR& 214 Statics • 4 Cr.
Explores principles of statics, vector algebra, force-couple relationships, equilibrium analysis, structures, area properties, beams, and friction. Prerequisite: PHYS 121 or MATH&254.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Manipulate vectors with graphical techniques and with component methods.
- Compute the moment of a force about a point and about an axis.
- Compute the moment of a couple.
- Move an applied force to another point and retain an equivalent loading system.
- Reduce a set of applied forces and moments to a single force.
- Compute the equilibrium of a free-body loaded by non-concurrent forces.
- Identify 2 force and 3 force bodies.
- Perform truss analysis by the method of joints and the method of sections.
- Determine the centroid of an area.
- Generate the shear and moment diagrams of a beam given the beam loading.
- Perform free-body equilibrium analysis with the inclusion of frictional forces.