ENGR& 225 Mechanics of Materials • 4 Cr.
Introduces the concepts of stress, deformation, and strain in solid materials. Topics include basic relationships between loads on structural and machine elements such as rods, shafts, and beams, and the stresses, deflection and load-carrying capacity of these elements under tension, compression, torsion, bending, and shear forces. Prerequisite: ENGR& 214.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform a material analysis of an engineering structure under load:
- determining the types/mode of stresses generated;
- computing material deformations/distortions;
- locating heavily stressed areas;
- evaluating material behavior with respect to theories of elastic failure.