FS 215 Hazardous Materials Incident Management • 3 Cr.
How to manage a hazardous materials incident. Content meets or exceeds the requirements set forth in OSHA 1910.120q and educational competencies referenced in NFPA 472. Prerequisite: FS 100 and FS 111 and FS 115 and FS 119 or proof of completion of a Hazardous Materials Operations Certificate.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Recall basic elements of chemistry and their relationship to hazardous materials.
- Identify agencies that need to be notifed in the case of a haz mat incident.
- Recall local, state, federal laws that apply to the storage, transportation of hazardous materials
- Articulate the importance of haz mat pre-planning.
- Analyze facility occupancy, transportation documents, shape and size of containers, and Material Safety Data Sheets.
- Recognize physical state of substances and their potential hazards of reactivity as they relate to firefighter health and safety.
- Given a haz mat scenario, establish command, call for appropriate resources, mitigate the operation to a controlled conclusion.
- Identify all components of a post incident analysis.
- Identify the eight stop process that is utilized during a haz mat incident.