FS 231 Fire Service Leadership • 3 Cr.
Examines the roles and responsibilities of company officers through concepts, examples, and practice. Students learn skills necessary for effective supervision, including goal setting, delegation, counseling, coaching, problem solving, decision-making, leadership, communications, and the supervisor's role in labor relations.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify the expanding role of leaders in the 21st century.
- Identify the challenges of work-force diversity within the fire service
- Recall the basic components of ethics in decision making
- Identify the roles of leaders, managers their differences and comonalities
- Describe the importance of time management and given a scenario, can effectively prioritize various tasks.
- Articulate the importance of communication both verbal, written and non-verbal.
- Recall the major tasks of short, mid and long term planning.