HCTM 301 US Healthcare Policies and Delivery Systems • 5 Cr.
Introduction to the US types of healthcare delivery systems. Students will identify laws, regulations, standards, initiatives, and payment systems; learn the impact of policies and procedures applicable to the various healthcare organizations; and gain an appreciation of the roles and disciplines of providers throughout the US healthcare system. Prerequisite: Acceptance into program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Present the history and evolution of the US healthcare system.
- Discuss and debate the advantages and limitations of the US healthcare system, comparing to systems in other countries.
- Outline the role of the federal, state, and local governments in the provision of healthcare.
- Identify and describe the regulators of healthcare, including government and non-government entities.
- Differentiate the different roles and structure of the various healthcare organizations responsible for providing healthcare.
- Analyze the impact of the current and upcoming legislation that affects and/or regulates the healthcare delivery systems in the US.
- Articulate the impact of the roles and responsibilities of the governing body and administrative heads in healthcare organizations.
- Research the policies and procedures applicable to the various healthcare organizations.
- Differentiate the roles of various providers and disciplines throughout the continuum of healthcare.
- Define current mechanisms of financing healthcare, and debate strengths and limitations.
- Outline the various laws, regulations, standards and initiatives that govern and impact the healthcare system.
- Give an overview of information system policies and procedures required by national health information initiatives.
- Evaluate the current laws, accreditation, licensure, and certification standards related to health information initiatives from the national, state, local, and facility levels.
- Discuss the changing regulations among various payment systems for healthcare services such as Medicare, Medicaid, managed care…
- Present the trends in US healthcare delivery systems and debate challenges moving forward.