HCTM 320 Health IT Data Standards • 5 Cr.
Fundamentals of healthcare standards as they relate to patient records, coding and classification systems, privacy and security, technical infrastructure and medical device integration. Includes basics of decision support and data mining, the National Health Information Exchange, the federal Standards and Infrastructure Framework, Health Information Exchange systems (HIEs), Regional Health Information Organizations (RHIOs), and Meaningful Use. Prerequisite: BTS 168 and permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Assess current standards that are being applied to patient information and analyze impacts on healthcare practices and implementation of health IT in various healthcare settings
- Present and analyze effective and efficient techniques to acquire, store and utilize medical data in a Healthcare setting
- Examine the essential objectives and practical uses for data warehousing, decision support and business intelligence
- Identify secure and private techniques for handling patient information in Healthcare organizations
- Assess the implications of the convergence of bioinformatics and clinical engineering with Healthcare Informatics
- Apply key infrastructure components and related technical standards as they relate to the handling of healthcare information
- Analyze the principles and methodologies underlying standards for healthcare data interchange regulations and practices
- Apply accepted practices in reading and understanding data specifications, and implementing data standards
- Develop solutions for management and mining of data generated in scientific laboratories and clinical trials for data mining and knowledge discovery
- Design approaches to access needed information effectively and efficiently
- Debate opportunities and challenges of converged clinical and information technologies in the context of data management
- Research the role of various organizations responsible for motivating and causing integration and information exchange among stakeholders
- Debate the main elements of meaningful use regulation and its implementation phases and timeline