HCTM 410 HIT Systems Analysis and Process Optimization • 5 Cr.
Presents strategies and tools for systems analysis and the development of user and systems requirements. Emphasis is on capturing and evaluating the needs of various stakeholders including physicians, nurses, patients, and caregivers, as well as meeting health information technology general practices and regulations, and covers techniques to analyze and model healthcare processes. Prerequisite: Acceptance into program, and completion of fundamentals pathway (IT 103, BTS 168 and BUSIT 103) or (HCTM 301, HCTM 302 and HCTM 380).
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Present and compare different strategies, methods and tools for systems and process analysis
- Learn traits of different stakeholders and develop interview and communication strategies appropriate for each stakeholder group
- Develop user and system requirements that meet the needs of the specific project
- Develop, compare and present alternate proposals for the selection, acquisition and evaluation of health IT systems, including benefits, limitations, risks, and cost analysis over systems lifecycle
- Develop a trade-off analysis and recommendations for capital and/or software purchase versus leasing or subscription, based on specific health IT projects and contexts
- Analyze current business and healthcare processes and develop recommendations for redesign based on the implementation of health IT systems
- Develop a readiness assessment plan with associated recommendations to support systems implementation
- Present the details of regulations governing acquisition and implementation of health IT systems and discuss the impact on overall health IT project
- Build and present a convincing business case for the selection and implementation of an health IT system
- Present the role and standards for various documentation throughout the systems and process analysis phases
- Discuss best strategies and practices to actively involve key stakeholders throughout the health IT project