HCTM 420 HIT Systems Integration and Interoperability • 5 Cr.
Covers the details of healthcare technology standards and interoperability, as well as the processes to develop an integration plan, including systems customization, test plans, unit integration and system testing, and identification of roles and responsibilities of internal and external professionals during the integration phase. Prerequisite: Acceptance into program, and completion of fundamentals pathway (IT 103, BTS 168 and BUSIT 103) or (HCTM 301, HCTM 302 and HCTM 380).
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Present the main elements of IT systems protocols and standards (such as HTTP, XML), and the roles of IT standard organizations
- Present the main elements and the specific applications of healthcare informatics interoperability and information protocols and standards (such as ANSI- American National Standards Institute, HL7- Health Level 7 International, DICOM- Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine, CCOW - Clinical Context Object Workgroup, CORBAMED)
- Explain the role of various initiatives including IHE (Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise) in health IT systems integration and interoperability
- Develop systems integration plans, including considerations of legacy systems, systems interoperability, customization and development of systems and application interfaces, costs/benefits, timelines, roles, responsibilities and resources
- Analyze the readiness of the overall infrastructure and specific systems in preparation for systems integration
- Develop a detailed risk analysis for the new systems implementation, including impact on existing technologies, on systems and data safety and security, and on overall healthcare organizations including internal and external interfaces
- Assess the need for customization of existing systems and/ or the necessity for development of new systems and application interfaces, and evaluate impact on overall project cost and timeline
- Develop a detailed test plan for each system unit and for the overall systemPresent the requirements for documentation and reporting of IT systems integration and interoperability in healthcare organizations