HCTM 450 Healthcare Analytics and Quality • 5 Cr.
Explores the scope and role of data and data analytics in healthcare in the context of national quality policies, as articulated in Meaningful Use Stages 1 and 2, and the National Quality Forum metrics that have been selected for Accountable Care Organization assessment and rewards, Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). Prerequisite: Acceptance into program or permission of instructor and HCTM 320.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Present the various applications of data analytics in healthcare, and research and discuss the various data emphases of different healthcare organizations
- Research and debate different approaches to assessing patient safety and quality of care through data analytics
- Examine current and upcoming government initiatives that push data analytics in healthcare
- Articulate the main elements and phases of Meaningful Use Stages 1 and 2 and analyze their impact on the healthcare system and healthcare providers
- Analyze the Accountable Care Organization model and debate its strengths and limitations
- Investigate issues of information security and privacy as they relate to data analytics
- Research and present examples of application of clinical decision support systems and examine the effectiveness in supporting patient care
- Debate the impact of Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) on healthcare analytics
- Develop and present a draft plan on how to implement data analytics initiatives in a hospital setting to improve operational efficiencies
- Research trends in healthcare data analytics and develop a presentation that outlines potential benefits and risks, as well as necessary changes in health IT systems and infrastructure to support the implementation of such trends
- Examine case studies of use of data analytics in healthcare and analyze the successes and failures in each case