HD 103 International Student First Year Experience • 2 Cr.
- Student Services
Provides international students new to the American college system the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in the U.S. higher education environment. Required for all new-to-American college students enrolled in ten or more credits. Prerequisite: Permission of instructor.
Prerequisite: Required for all new F-1 students on BC’s I-20
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe where and how to access support services and activities available at BCC and ISP.
- Demonstrate use of US college vocabulary and BCC terminology
- Identify characteristics of successful international students
- Identify culture shock barriers and other barriers to college success
- Develop personal goals and strategies for success
- Clearly follow F-1 visa requirements and stay in status
- Describe the levels of the US education system and identify how to successfully transfer to a four-year institution
- Demonstrate the importance of diversity within an American college environment and their role in diversity issues as ISP students
- Describe how to register, receive advising and access campus resources
- Establish social connections with cohort of international students
- Establish academic connections with BCC faculty and staff