HD 157 Assertive Communication • V1-3 Cr.
- Student Services
Develops awareness of personal communication styles and choices. Students practice skills that enable them to communicate directly and to get their needs met without denying the rights of others.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the common issues and perspectives manifesting in assertive, aggressive, and passive-aggressive behaviors.
- Identify environmental contributors commonly resulting in inappropriate communication styles.
- Identify irrational beliefs and thoughts that interfere with effective assertive behavior.
- Identify situations and behavior in which change is both an important and realistic goal.
- Learn and practice a variety of skills that will enhance assertive behavior and will aid in dealing with stressful interactions with others.
- Identify personal goals and priorities related to achieving new assertive behavior.