HIST 212 Sport in America A Social History • 5 Cr.
Surveys the role of sports in society. Students examine the development of games and sports in the context of western history, with an emphasis on organized sports in American culture. May be used as social science or humanities credit, not both, at BC.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Analyze and critically evaluate primary and secondary sources.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Articulate the evolution of sports from the ancient world, through the colonial era, and to the present.
- Recognize and identify elements of American culture, politics, and socio-economic factors implicit in the development of sporting/athletic endeavors.
- Summer 2015 (current quarter)