HIST 246 History of Immigration to the US • 5 Cr.
This course explores the history of immigration to the United States from the colonial period to the present day. It examines the forces shaping immigration, the diversity of immigrant experiences, the legal/policy framework influencing immigration, and the impact of immigration on U.S. society and culture. Recommended: Completion of ENGL& 101.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Analyze and critically evaluate primary and secondary sources.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Recognize and identify key developments and issues in the diverse history of immigration to the U.S.
- Analyze the motivations and experiences of a range of immigrant groups from colonial times to the present.
- Analyze the influence of diverse immigrant cultures on a variety of aspects of wider U.S. society and culture.