HLTH 260 Wilderness First Aid Basics • 4 Cr.
Prepares students to respond to emergencies that may occur during back country fitness activities. Students take exams for both the Standard Red Cross First Aid Certificate and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate.
Fee: $6 supplies and $11 equipment rental.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Respond to emergency situation in the Northwest backcountry
- Identify causes of injuries and how they can be prevented in wilderness areas
- Develop Emergency Action Steps for First Aid Response when EMS is not readily available
- Use basic first aid techniques when injuries occur
- Use short distance transfer and evacuation techniques
- Respond to emotional response victims
- Display skills and knowledge needed for the Red Cross First Aid/CPR exams
- Winter 2017 (current quarter)