HLTH 290 Introduction to Sports Nutrition • V1-3 Cr.
An introduction to the energy systems used during physical activity. Specialized attention to the body's ability to perform under aerobic and anaerobic conditions. Identification of energy, macronutrient, fluid and electrolyte needs during activity. Food sources and Sport specific case studies will be discussed. Personal application of material will be emphasized in class. Recommended: High School Algebra.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Compare and contrast the concepts of physical activity, leisure-time physical activity and exercise
- Define strength and endurance activities
- Discuss the three main energy systems involved in generating ATP (energy)
- Explain how carbohydrates, lipids and proteins are used during physical activity
- Explain which vitamins and minerals are used during physical activity
- Calculate energy needs at rest and during physical activity
- Describe concepts of meal timing and recovery
- Discuss function of electrolytes
- Discuss commonly used Ergogenic aids and sports supplements