HLTH 292 First Aid & CPR Taking Action • 4 Cr.
Helps prepare students for both a Standard Red Cross First Aid Certificate and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate. Lecture/lab format.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Recognize when an emergency has occurred
- Follow the appropriate plan of action for an emergency
- Provide care for injuries or sudden illnesses until professional help arrives
- Know how and when to call for emergency medical help
- Know how to prevent life style related illness and injury
- Provide background information, cardiovascular anatomy and physiology, coronary artery disease, risk factors in heart disease, prudent heart living and signals and actions for survival
- Identify methods for preventing unnecessary mortality from heart attack
- Describe the technical aspects of CPR
- Identify possible causes of airway obstructions
- Manage airway obstruction