HPRO 100 Introduction to Healthcare • 5 Cr.
An introduction to health care delivery systems, associated career opportunities, and related trends. Looks at the industry as a whole and the integration of services and professions. Students explore career choices including educational requirements, job outlooks, governing agencies, occupational requirements, pay ranges, professional requirements, and employer expectations.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify the various types of health care delivery systems.
- Distinguish between occupational “clusters” in health care (therapeutic, diagnostic, information services, environmental services, prevention, etc).
- Outline a range of careers in the fields of health care, medicine, and wellness.
- Assess your aptitude for a career in health care.
- Conduct research into a system or career of interest to determine basic responsibilities, governing bodies, educational requirements, career paths, employment opportunities, and trends of influence.
- Discuss the variety and integration of jobs and professions that make up health care delivery systems.
- Identify the requirements and expectations of health care employers.
- Identify trends and changes that may impact health care delivery systems and career choices.
- List and define major types of services and providers in health care including private, government, voluntary, and non-profit agencies.
- Present the results of your research to classmates including a definition of a selected profession, basic duties, educational requirements, career paths, and job outlooks.
- Demonstrate ability to maneuver within an online learning environment.