HPRO 176 Health Unit Coordinator Externship • 5 Cr.
Capstone course in the Health Unit Coordinator series. Students are supervised and monitored while applying skills in performing functions required in a nursing unit. Enforced prerequisite: placement by assessment into ENGL& 101 and completion of all other classes in the Health Unit Coordinator certificate at BC with a C- or better and permission of instructor. No more than one (1) quarter off between completion of HPRO 175 and enrollment in HPRO 176.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate professional and effective communication and workplace behavior between patients and staff
- Demonstrate the ability to perform admissions, discharges, internal and outside transfers
- Demonstrate the knowledge to accurately transcribe medication, laboratory, diagnostic imaging, electrocardiograms, electroencephalograms, activity, positioning and therapeutic orders
- Perform job related technical tasks utilizing computer software
- Demonstrate awareness and respect for cultural differences
- Demonstrate a knowledge of emergency code procedures
- Spring 2014 (current quarter)