HPRO 180 Emergency Department Clinical Skills • 7 Cr.
Covers the skills needed to assist in a hospital emergency room as an Emergency Department Technician. Includes the basic skills and knowledge necessary to stabilize patients and assist physicians in life-saving procedures. Enforced prerequisite restrictions: Placement by assessment into ENGL& 101 and BTS 144, BTS 161, HPRO 105, HPRO 120, HPRO 125, HPRO 130, HPRO 134, and HPRO 141 with a C- or better at BC and permission of instructor. Ability to lift 50 pounds. Current CPR card. Complete HSEWI immunization status record. Complete Certified National Background Check. If applying for Emergency Department Technician Professional certificate: 1.) demonstration of EMT certification; or 2.) demonstration of board-certification as a CNA with a minimum of 1 year work experience.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Assess emergency situations and perform necessary procedures
- Assist physicians and other emergency healthcare personnel
- Utilize specialized medical equipment
- Perform wound care, irrigation, and preparation before physicians begin suturing
- Assist in orthopedic splinting procedures
- Assist with specimen collection
- Demonstrate the use of restraints and Code Grey
- Ambulate patients as appropriate/ordered
- Initiate and perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Use bag valve masks appropriately and apply supplemental oxygen as needed
- Assist with patient monitoring for cardiac, respiratory, nervous, and genito-urinary emergencies