IBP 096 Observation Support • 2 Cr.
Students will learn practical job skills, discuss American workplace culture, and build basic workplace and business vocabulary. In addition, students will learn skills to communicate more effectively with internship supervisors, coworkers, and customers. Prerequisite: Acceptance into the program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Enhance the student’s interpersonal skills in the workplace
- Take initiative and work independently
- Demonstrate an understanding of effective techniques for dealing with difficult people and overcoming obstacles
- Clarify instructions
- Express opinions to peers and supervisors during the internship
- Communicate effectively on the phone
- Deal with stress in the workplace
- Learn strategies to accept and reject criticism
- Understand slang and idiomatic expressions used frequently in the workplace
- Use and understand on deeper levels the importance of the “art of conversation” and “small talk” in the workplace
- Prepare a short presentation about the highlights of what the student is learning in his/her internship