INDES 147 Healthy Sustainable Interiors • 5 Cr.
Make it "Green". Examine Commercial and Residential interior architectural spaces, using concepts learned in INDES 145 and 146. Study the LEED-CI (Commercial Interiors), LEED for Homes and the local BuiltGreen rating systems. Review case studies representing best practices in sustainable design of interiors for discussion and analysis, evaluating project success according to sustainable theories, application of LEED standards, and life-cycle assessments. Prerequisite: INDES 146 with a C- or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Accurately identify and describe general and specific products standards and certifications such as third party organizations Green Seal, MBDC, CRI or FSC, by comparison of materials specifications to third party testing standards and criteria.
- Demonstrate understanding of the LEED rating system within the context of its role in professional practice, through contact with professionals from the local design community and summarization of findings.
- Cite and demonstrate appropriate application of specific LEED rating standards as they apply to project types and applications, through use of tools such as USGBC, LEED rating systems and LEED-online.
- Demonstrate an increased respect for local environmental design efforts and awareness of Curriculum for the Bioregion by preparing case studies of local commercial and residential green buildings, either identified as LEED or BuiltGreen certified.
- Cite and demonstrate a thorough understanding of LEED-CI rating system by successfully answering practice test questions which will prepare the student to take the LEED-AP national exam at a third party testing site.