INTST 202 Cultural Encounters & Tensions • 5 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2015
Cultural Interactions in An Interdependent World • 5 Cr.
Deals with the contemporary world from a cultural standpoint. Students examine problems of intercultural relations with particular emphasis on divergent "world views."
Description starting Summer 2015
Critically analyzes the relationship between culture and politics in the contemporary world, focusing on how the systems of meaning and social organization we call ?culture? impact political processes at the local, national, and international levels. Special emphasis on the interaction between ?Western? and ?non-Western? cultures.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Critically analyze the relationship between culture and politics in the contemporary world
- Articulate how differences in cultural context can enhance or inhibit effective inter-cultural understanding
- Define major concepts related to international political culture
- Explain the importance of interdependence in the modern world
- Identify ethnocentrism in political discourse
- Respect and appreciate cultural differences