ISIT 450 Network Vulnerabilities and Countermeasures • 5 Cr.
This course covers the concepts of network vulnerabilities from a hacker's perspective. Its focus is professional penetration testing and the securing of information assets. The course provides students with the knowledge to prevent, detect, and respond to network security incidents. Prerequisite: Admission to either the Systems Administration or Information Security concentration of the ISIT program, or permission of the instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Understand the importance of legal and ethical conduct in using computer network system.
- Effectively use appropriate information security software & assessment tools.
- Conduct security reconnaissance in order to identify network vulnerabilities and attack vectors.
- Evaluate where information networks are most vulnerable.
- Perform penetration tests into secure networks for evaluation purposes.
- Critique security plans designed at protecting data assets against attacks from the Internet.
- Develop an ongoing security strategy and investigate/mitigate data risk.
- Quantitatively assess and measure threats to information assets and implement proper safeguards based on risk analysis.