ISIT 450 Network Vulnerabilities and Countermeasures • 5 Cr.
This course covers the concepts of network vulnerabilities from a hacker's perspective. Its focus is professional penetration testing and the securing of information assets. The course provides students with the knowledge to prevent, detect, and respond to network security incidents. Prerequisite: Admission to the program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Assess the importance of legal and ethical conduct when using computer network systems.
- Conduct security reconnaissance in order to recognize network vulnerabilities and attack vectors.
- Effectively use appropriate information security software & auditing tools.
- Evaluate where information networks are most vulnerable by quantitatively assessing and measuring threats to information assets.
- Perform penetration tests into secure networks for evaluation purposes.
- Critique security plans designed to protect data assets against attacks from the Internet.
- Mitigate data risk by designing an ongoing security strategy.
- Implement proper safeguards based on risk analysis.