IT 101 Introduction to Information Technology • 5 Cr.
Presents a general overview of information technology. Topics include how computers work, different types of computers, input and data storage devices, operating systems, data communications, systems analysis and design, and ethics. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment into ENGL& 101, or completion of ENGL 092 or 093 with a C or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss how technology impacts business and society.
- Describe what makes a computer system function and list the primary components of a PC.
- Describe features common to applications software and software specialty tools.
- Identify trends in computer technology.
- Identify career opportunities available in information technology.
- Discuss ethical issues related to the information age, privacy, security risks, and environmental concerns.
- Discuss the use of networks and networking technologies and identify reasons individuals and businesses use networks.