MATH 070 Basic Math for the Math Avoiders • 5 Cr.
Builds confidence and skills in arithmetic and pre-algebra. Students discuss symptoms of math anxiety and avoidance, as well as suggestions for overcoming them. Topics include operations with whole numbers, fractions, decimals and percentages, and elements of geometry and pre-algebra. Course is graded pass/fail.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Multiply and divide whole numbers.
- Add, subtract, reduce, multiply and divide positive fractions.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide positive decimal numbers.
- Solve proportions and set up and solve application problems using ratios and proportions.
- Set up and solve application problems using percentages.
- Calculate perimeters, areas, and volumes of basic geometric shapes.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
- Solve basic linear equations in one unknown.
- Increase their confidence in their ability to learn math.
- Fall 2013 (current quarter)