MATH 099 Intermediate Algebra • 5 Cr.
Expands algebra skills through an axiomatic approach. Students work with mathematical systems, solution of equations, inequalities, functions, exponents and logarithms, and coordinate systems. This course is similar to second-year high-school algebra. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment, or MATH 098 with a C or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Construct functions and use graphs to both model and interpret data as well as solve practical problems in various applications.
- Construct functions and use equations to model and algebraically solve practical problems in various applications.
- Use numeric data in tabular form to explore relationships between different quantities in practical applications.
- Use appropriate algebraic techniques to simplify expressions or solve equations.
- Use appropriate mathematical notation to express specific ideas and relationships among quantities.
- Use appropriate technology to visualize functions (e.g., graphing calculator).