MUSC 101 Community Symphonies • 1 Cr.
Students earn credit for playing in approved community orchestras or ensembles. Provides an opportunity to perform a wide variety of literature. Rehearsals are usually one evening per week. May be repeated for a maximum of 6 credits. Participation may require audition. Prerequisite: Permission of program chair for approved ensembles.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform in a rehearsal with attention to proper intonation, phrasing, articulation, tone production, and blending of their part within a section
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, follow, read and/or perform a variety of rhythmic and melodic passages as they are used in the creation of the music being performed
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, follow, read, interpret and perform a variety of musical expression markings, aural descriptors, as well as conducting gestures as they are used in the creation of music.
- Demonstrate the use of a variety of practice tools and methods as well as appropriate rehearsal and performance behavior to produce productive rehearsals and quality performances.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform a variety of musical styles
- Demonstrate the ability to function effectively in a variety of small and large group settings.
- Demonstrate the personal awareness and musical growth to realize music’s potential role in a student’s future through involvement in community ensembles.
- Incorporate their own musical, time management, cooperative behavior skills and individual expression into the process of producing a musically meaningful and expressive performance.