MUSC 104 Small Instrumental & Vocal Ensembles • 2 Cr.
Includes woodwinds, strings, brass, and jazz combos. Students develop technique, independence of part, and sensitivity. Requires two hours rehearsal per week plus scheduled performances. May be repeated for a maximum of 12 credits. Prerequisite: For all students, permission of instructor, for vocal students, concurrent enrollment in MUSC 100 or MUSC 200 for 3 of their 6 quarters.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Determine a mutually agreed upon time and place for weekly rehearsals attending a total of 10 per quarter.
- In consultation with Music faculty, the group will determine a course of study or repertoire they will cover in the course of the quarter.
- Rehearse themselves (often without conductor) as they seek to perfect the selected material.
- Perform as determined by faculty advisor and mutually agreed upon by group. Perusal of literature is more important than public performance for these groups.
- Practice assigned pieces between rehearsals working to perfect, intonation, breath support, articulation, musicality, balance, and blend with the other musicians.