MUSC 107 Fundamentals of Music • 5 Cr.
Introduces the structure of music and its notation. Students learn to read and write basic pitch and rhythm notation and to construct scales, chords, and melodies. Intended for non-majors with little or no musical experience.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Express basic musical thoughts using musical notation on staff paper.
- Write scales on treble and bass clefs.
- Write key signatures on treble and bass clefs.
- Read musical notation and translate into singing or rhythmic tapping.
- Write triads and seventh chords on treble and bass clefs.
- Write Roman numeral analyses of basic musical excerpts.
- Compose basic Music Notation using computing software such as Finale/Sibelius.