MUSC 131 Group Piano Instruction II • 2 Cr.
Continues MUSC 130 with more advanced keyboard and music reading skills. Students learn more keys, chord combinations, and performance of more complex compositions. Prerequisite: MUSC 130 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Play at sight simple pieces utilizing independent left- and right-hand parts.
- Play all major and minor scales utilizing proper fingering patterns, posture and hand position.
- Play finger and hand strengthening exercises as assigned by instructor.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of basic chord theory and structure by playing written parts and deciphering chord symbols.
- Interpret dynamic, tempo, and expression markings to add sensitivity into their performance at the keyboard.
- Prepare for final performance a medium-level "sonatina" or equivalent to be performed at quarter's end with assigned sight-reading and scales.
- Spring 2015 (current quarter)