MUSC 200 Concert Choir II • V1-3 Cr.
Offers performance opportunities for student singers who have completed three quarters of MUSC 100. Students gain understanding and skills essential to group and choral singing. Requires 5 hours of rehearsal per week plus scheduled outside rehearsals and performances. May be repeated for a maximum of 9 credits. Upon Registration a Voice Part Placement will be required.
For audition and permission to register, please contact Thomas Almli at email@example.com or (425) 564-2089.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Fundamentals of singing:
- Ensemble process: rehearsal techniques, mutual trust level, conviction of adequacy, desire for excellence
- Develop basic music vocabulary
- Develop awareness of dynamics
- Physiological ramification of voice production
- Develop music reading skills: intervals, independent part-singing, tonality and pitch awareness
- Vocal Techniques
- Tone; Beauty, blend, control
- Diction Clarity of consonance, naturalness, purity of vowels, stylistic alterations
- Production techniques: Breathing and breath control, posture, phonation, precision and rhythm
- Artistry; Fluency, vitality
- Interpretation: Expression, phrasing, style
- Listening skills: Pitch discernment, identifying the correctable
- Performance Skills and Techniques
- Stage presence: Poise, appearance, communication with audience
- Performance attitude skills: Dealing with apprehension, discipline, enjoying one’s own performance
- General Appreciation
- Historical perspective of music performed: Baroque, Classical, Romantic
- Cultural perspective of music performed: Sacred, secular, ethnic, folk
- Understanding of harmony as applied to music performed