NSCOM 201 CISCO Networking I • 5 Cr.
Course provides foundation knowledge in networking. Topics include: network topologies, OSI model, design and documentation, LANs, network media, protocols and routing. Prerequisite: TECH 217 and placement by assessment into ENGL& 101, or completion of ENGL 092 or 093 with a C orbetter.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform arithmetic operations in binary, decimal and hexadecimal numbering systems.
- Define terms and units related to networking such as throughput and bandwidth.
- Name and describe the layers of standard networking models.
- Describe network signals and the phenomena that affect the integrity of those signals.
- Describe networking media and devices and the advantages and limitations of each.
- Design a subnetted addressing scheme giving network numbers, range of host numbers, broadcast numbers and subnet mask.
- Describe protocol data units and associate each with its corresponding layer in the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) networking model.
- Design and implement a simple network.