NURS 100Y Foundations of Nursing Skills Lab • 2 Cr.
This is the lab portion of Nursing Fundamentals. In this class nursing assessment and other fundamental skills like medication administration are learned prior to students' first hands-on experience with clients. Prerequisite: Admission to program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss the purpose of the health and physical assessment.
- Discuss the purpose of collecting subjective and objective data.
- Describe the techniques used during a physical examination
- Identify the purpose of equipment used in performing a health assessment.
- Describe positioning of the client for privacy during assessment of each body system.
- Discuss the importance of understanding cultural diversity as it influences the approach to health assessment.
- Describe interview techniques used to enhance communication during history taking.
- Discuss normal physical findings in a young and middle-age adult as compared to that of an older adult.
- Describe the relationship between documentation and financial reimbursement in health care.
- Describe the principles of documentation and reporting and the related legal implications.
- Compare the different types of standard diets used in medical facilities.
- Identify clients at risk for aspiration.
- Name types of diets used for patients with high risk of aspiration.
- Set up interal nutrition using a feeding pump.