NURS 102Y Nursing Care of the Adult Client II Skills Lab • 1 Cr.
A variety of acute care nursing skills provide baseline competency prior to entry into acute care clinical facilities. Students learn hands-on nursing skills and have the opportunity to practice and perform demonstrations and simulation. Prerequisite: NURS 101X, NURS 101Y, and NURS 101Z.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the care and maintenance of patients with Thoracic drains
- Demonstrate sterile technique in the cleaning and management of a patient with a tracheostomy.
- Discuss the management of patients who are receiving blood products
- Demonstrate the technique for IV insertion and IV therapy
- Demonstrate the management of patient care in a simulated scenario using a high fidelity simulation mannequin (Sim Man)
- Critique peer simulation experiences in regard to the standards of nursing care