NURS 110Y Nursing Fundamentals Skills Lab • 2 Cr.
A variety of fundamental nursing skills, including physical assessment, medication administration, and IV therapy provide baseline skills prior to entry into the clinical facilities. Students learn hands-on nursing skills and have the opportunity to practice and perform return demonstrations. Prerequisite: NURS 110Y
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- By the end of this class the student will be able to:
- 1. Discuss the purpose of the health and physical assessment.
- 2. Discuss the purpose of collecting subjective and objective data.
- 3. Describe the techniques used during a physical examination
- 4. Identify the purpose of equipment used in performing a health assessment.
- 5. Describe positioning of the client for privacy during assessment of each body system.
- 6. Discuss the importance of understanding cultural diversity as it influences the approach to health assessment.
- 7. Describe interview techniques used to enhance communication during history taking.
- 8. Discuss normal physical findings in a young and middle-age adult as compared to that of an older adult.
- 9. Describe the relationship between documentation and financial reimbursement in health care.
- 10. Describe the principles of documentation and reporting and the related legal implications.
- 11. Compare the different types of standard diets used in medical facilities.
- 12. Identify clients at risk for aspiration.
- 13. Name types of diets used for patients with high risk of aspiration.
- 14. Set up enteral nutrition using a feeding pump.
- 15. Assess for hypoxia and Describe “Oxygen Delivery Systems”.
- 16. Demonstrate the step-by-step problem-solving method of dimensional analysis.
- 17. Interpret medication orders accurately, based on the “Rights of Safe Medication Administration”.
- 18. Identify components from a drug label that are needed for accurate medication administration.
- 19. Dispense nonparanteral and IM/SQ medications safely and accurately.
- Spring 2014 (current quarter)