NURS 111Y Acute Care Nursing I Skills Lab • 2 Cr.
A variety of acute care nursing skills provide baseline competency prior to entry into acute care clinical facilities. Students learn hands-on nursing skills and have the opportunity to practice and perform demonstrations. Prerequisite: NURS 111X and NURS 110Y.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- During the Nursing Skills Lab sections, students will learn the theory of selected nursing skills, view videos of these skills, attend classes under the direction of the clinical instructors and have opportunity to practice and perform return demonstrations. By the end of this class the student will be able to:
- 1. Identify normal and abnormal cardiac rhythms called dysrhythmias.
- 2. Demonstrate the collection of selected specimens and assist with diagnostic procedures.
- 3. Demonstrate sterile technique in the catheterization of a male or female, using a straight or indwelling catheter.
- 4. Trouble shoot and care for a client with an indwelling catheter and continuous urinary drainage systems.
- 5. Set up a sterile field in preparation for a bedside intervention.
- 6. Apply a wet-to-dry dressing; empty and recharge a wound suction devices.
- 7. Describe the care and maintenance of PICCs, central venous catheters (CVCs) and VADs.
- 8. Discuss the management of patients who have total parenteral nutrition infusing.
- 9. Describe the purposes for nasogastric tube insertion and safely insert an nasogastric tube.
- 10. Discuss the application and nursing considerations of those clients who have enteral nutrition to meet their caloric needs.
- 11. Discuss the purpose(s) of the various types of bowel and bladder ostomies.
- 12. Perform an assessment of a stoma and application of an ostomy pouch.
- 13. Perform oral, nasopharyngeal and nasotracheal suctioning.
- 14. Demonstrate sterile technique in tracheostomy care.
- 15. Describe the purposes of the chambers in a chest drainage system, water seal compartment, drainage compartment and suction control compartment.
- 16. Describe how to troubleshoot a chest tube drainage system.
- 17. Use advanced nursing assessment strategies such as percussion, recognize normal and abnormal physical assessment findings.
- 18. Safely start an intravenous catheter.