NURS 221Z Behavioral Health Clinical • 4 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2015
Behavioral Health Clinical • 3 Cr.
Provides experience in acute inpatient psychiatric facilities and various community-based mental health programs. Students practice the nursing process in providing client-centered care. Prerequisite: NURS 102X and 102Z.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Display therapeutic use of self with individuals and groups in a psychiatric health care setting.
- Perform competent mental status assessment skills.
- Provide culturally-sensitive interventions that promote self-esteem, reduce anxiety, and/or enhance coping of individuals with compromised mental status.
- Utilize therapeutic techniques in care practices with individuals experiencing symptoms such as hallucinations, delusions, and/or suicidal ideation.
- Analyze the use of evidence-based interventions to assist the adult client toward mental health promotion and wellness.
- Evaluate effects of psychoactive medications including symptom abatement, side effects, and indications of toxicity.