NURS 231Y Pediatric Nursing Skills Lab • 1 Cr.
A variety of acute-care pediatric nursing skills provide baseline com petency prior-entry into acute-care pedicatric clinical facilities. Students learn hands-on pediatric nursing skills and have the opportunity to practice and perform return demonstrations. Prerequisite: NURS 230X and NURS 230Z.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Assess maternal high risk factors for mother and fetus.
- Perform APGAR scoring on a Newborn.
- Perform a physical assessment on a child using Assessment, palpation, percution and auscultation skills.
- Identify differences in adult and pediatric laboratory data.
- Provide nutrition to a pediatric client.
- Deliver medications safely in pediatric clients.
- Discuss the differences between IV therapy in a pediatric client and an adult.
- Apply oxygenation aids and treatments to clients with respiratory problems.
- Act as team leader in a simulated pediatric scenario