NURS 231Y Pediatric Nursing Skills Lab • 1 Cr.
A variety of acute-care pediatric nursing skills provide baseline com petency prior-entry into acute-care pedicatric clinical facilities. Students learn hands-on pediatric nursing skills and have the opportunity to practice and perform return demonstrations. Prerequisite: NURS 230X and NURS 230Z.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- At the completion of this module the learner will be competent to:
- 1. Assess maternal high risk factors for mother and fetus.
- 2. perform APGAR scoring on a Newborn
- 3. Perform a physical assessment on a child using Assessment, palpation, percution and auscultation skills
- 4. identify differences in adult and pediatric laboratory data
- 5. provide nutrition to a pediatric client
- 6. deliver medications safely in pediatric clients
- 7. discuss the differences between IV therapy in a pediatric client and an adult
- 8. apply oxygenation aids and treatments to clients with respiratory problems
- 9. act as team leader in a simulated pediatric scenario