NURS 234X Professional Role Transitions Theory • 6 Cr.
This is the final course in medical/surgical nursing. Students integrate nursing theory from all previous courses while providing comprehensive nursing care to clients with complex health problems. Prerequisite: NURS 233X and NURS 233Z.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Learning Outcomes:
- At the completion of this module the student will be competent in:
- 1. Apply models of transition to professional role change. Discuss role transitions and ways to deal with reality shock that promote a successful transition from student to professional nurse.
- 2. Demonstrate competence in effective leading, managing and following behaviors within the professional nursing role.
- 3 Compare and contrast leadership and management roles and responsibilities in nursing.
- 4. Describe leadership development strategies and leadership opportunities in a variety of work environments.
- 5. Read, analyze and report findings on research articles for potential use in nursing practice.
- 6. Write an anatomical bibliography for a research topic that has potential use for evidence–based practice in nursing.
- 7 Identify and categorize each of the drug classes.
- 8 Explain the mechanism of drug action and adverse effects for each drug class.
- 9. Differentiate between the certification roles of the critical care nurses: CCRN, PCCN, CCNs and ACNP.
- 10 Select appropriate nursing interventions to manage common problems and the needs of critically ill patients.
- 11. Describe the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, pharmacological treatment and collaborative care of clients with skin conditions.
- 12. Describe the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, pharmacological treatment and collaborative care of clients with burns.
- 13. Describe the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, pharmacological treatment and collaborative care of clients with various STDs, HIV/AIDS.
- 14. Discuss trends associated with the computerized electronic record, e-health, PDA's.
- 15 Identify appropriate nursing interventions in disaster/emergency situations, including the accessing of disaster plans and resources on a personal, institutional, community, national and international level.
- 16. Describe public health as applied in the United States and define the essential services that this government agency performs.