NURS 234Y Professional Role Transitions Skills Lab • 1 Cr.
Students maintain competency of all nursing skills previously learned and have the opportunity to practice and perform return demonstrations. Variety of clinical simulations performed using a high velocity simulation mannequin. Prerequisite: NURS 230Z, 231Z and 233Z.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- During the Nursing Skills Lab sections, students will return demonstrate skills learned in previous quarters prior to re-entering the medical/surgical acute-care setting.
- Demonstrate a head-to-toe assessment.
- Demonstrate sterile technique in the catheterization of a male or female, using a straight or indwelling catheter.
- Demonstrate how to set up a sterile field in preparation for a bedside intervention.
- Demonstrate a wet-to-dry dressing and empty and recharge a wound suction devices.
- Demonstrate SQ and IM injections.
- Demonstrate non parenteral medication administration.
- Demonstrate the insertion of a nasogastric tube.
- Demonstrate oral, nasopharyngeal and nasotracheal suctioning.
- Demonstrate sterile technique in tracheostomy care.
- Demonstrate starting an IV catheter.
- Demonstrate priming an IV and secondary set.
- Perform care of a client in a simulation experience
- Summer 2016 (current quarter)