NURS 290 Global Health and Nursing • 5 Cr.
Focuses on global health care within the domain of community health nursing and culturally competent practice. Provides students an opportunity to apply community health concepts in an international environment: gaining experience in diverse health care settings and participating in a community nursing health project. Prerequistes: NURS 100X and NURS 100Z, NURS 101X and NURS 101Z.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss community health nursing concepts and practice.
- Identify factors that influence the health of communities, individuals and families within communities.
- Analyze the relationship between globalization and health.
- Identify international community health resources.
- Discuss characteristics of cultural competence as manifested by individuals, health services agencies, and communities.
- Identify cultural issues and health beliefs within the community.
- Compare the national health program in host country to health policies and programs in the US.
- Identify environmental issues related to the health of communities.
- Complete a community health assessment.
- Work effectively as a team member in the development of a collaborative community health project.
- Apply community health nursing concepts in a community within an international environment.
- Share the experience in a public presentation.