NURS 451 Nursing Health Information Technology Practicum • 3 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2015
Nursing Health Information Technology Fieldwork • 3 Cr.
This course is designed to provide a mentored nursing informatics practicum that offers the opportunity to integrate knowledge of nursing with the application of health care information technology and informatics. Learning needs are identified and personal objectives are negotiated with a mentor, emphasizing preparation for the role of the nurse in the health IT environment. Students will have a ?hands-on? experience in healthcare information technology while working with a mentor. Practicum seminars focus on current issues in healthcare technology and implementation and management of technology in a variety of healthcare environments. Prerequisite: Acceptance into BSN program and NURS 450.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify key personal and professional goals and objectives as they relate to the health IT setting with mentor/preceptor.
- Evaluate the processes and systems of healthcare technologies and their impact on patient care and outcomes.
- Engage in processes within a healthcare environment as they relate to implementing or maintaining healthcare technologies.
- Explore major challenges and issues in regard to the role of technology in the healthcare setting and their impact on nursing care of patients.
- Observe the role and responsibilities of a nursing informatics specialist in a healthcare setting.