OLS 105 Introduction to Communication • 2 Cr.
Covers developing and improving fundamental and effective communication skills. Includes understanding interpersonal communication, active listening, non-verbal communication and communicating purposefully in the community. Structured to accommodate special needs learners. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Define the process of communication
- Demonstrate competence when making introductions
- Demonstrate competence initiating conversations and adapting conversation topics
- Demonstrate effective nonverbal communication while actively listening
- Explain the influence of gender, culture and family in the interpersonal communication process
- Explain the differences between aggressive communication and assertive communication
- Describe social networking and build a contacts list
- Identify the basic components of teamwork
- Prepare and present an idea in a clear and concise manner to a group of people
- Fall 2014 (current quarter)