OLS 121 Personal Finance II • 2 Cr.
Second course in the personal finance series. Students participate in compiling a spending journal, reflecting on wants and needs that develop into a personal budget. Covers basic financial concepts, safe practices when buying an item online, use of a credit or debit card, and using a savings account. Prerequisite: OLS 120, 141 and Acceptance into the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Compile a self-reflective spending journal
- Discuss safe practices when buying online and how to avoid common problems
- Discuss the difference between wants versus needs as related to a personal budget
- Write a check accurately and identify errors in incorrectly written checks
- Identify the elements of a basic budget
- Demonstrate how to reconcile checking accounts online
- Compare and contrast debit, ATM and credit cards
- Discuss retirement savings strategies
- Describe the difference between interest earned from a savings account and interest paid on credit card balances