OLS 151 Self Defense for Mind & Body • 1 Cr.
Develop body awareness with basic knowledge about and applications of self-defense including hand and foot techniques, blocks, defense zones, and the eight directional movements. Explore techniques for conflict resolution and philosophy. Structured to accommodate special needs learners. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify anatomical names and locations of bones and muscles applied in self-defense
- Demonstrate increased kinesthetic awareness of muscles and bone groups
- Perform behaviors that increase self-security and self-confidence
- Demonstrate and practice basic preventative and controlling self-defense techniques
- Defend self from a potential attack
- Demonstrate improved physical coordination skills
- Perform martial art exercises that enhance concentration, focus, and memory
- Discuss basic self-defense principles
- Winter 2017 (current quarter)