OLS 154 Martial Arts for Mind & Body • 1 Cr.
Develop body awareness with basic knowledge about and applications of martial arts including hand and foot techniques, blocks, and sequential forms. Explore techniques for conflict resolution, self-defense, increased mental awareness, kinesthetic awareness of muscles and bones, flexibility and stress reduction. Structured to accommodate special needs learners. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform a defense from a potential attack using proper techniques.
- Perform martial arts techniques that increase physical coordination skills.
- Explain martial arts principles, theories, and philosophy.
- Demonstrate and practice martial art exercises that enhance concentration, focus, and memory.
- Demonstrate and practice basic preventative and controlling self-defense techniques.
- Discuss the difference between the styles of martial arts Perform the correct form specific to the style of martial arts.
- Winter 2015 (current quarter)