OLS 166 Music Appreciation • 2 Cr.
Music is a key element of all cultures across space and time. Designed to give students an appreciation for how the finer elements of music are deeply shaped by the culture of technology and time. Offers critical thinking skills and an appreciation for multiple perspectives. Prerequisite: Acceptance into the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify and describe musical elements
- Identify and describe the characteristics of different styles of music
- List characteristics that make certain music suitable for different uses
- Describe how music reflects the events of history and the current climate
- Compare and contrast the music from various cultures
- Listen to music examples from various world cultures and describe the musical elements and characteristics
- Describe and demonstrate appropriate audience behavior
- Explain how technology shapes the role of music in our lives
- Develop and apply own personal aesthetic criteria for evaluating music
- Winter 2014 (current quarter)