OLS 177 Workplace Readiness • 2 Cr.
Presents skills needed to participate professionally in the workforce. Includes securing an internship site and examines and updates professional publications. Students discuss and construct a professional network, and examine and experience current interviewing styles. Interviews are scheduled and conducted. Prerequisite: OLS 106, 171, 174 and Acceptance into the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Examine and discuss professional techniques for communicating with supervisors and co-workers
- Update resume
- Research community job search resources
- Identify and describe three companies that hire people in chosen career pathway
- Discuss the expectations of a job at a researched company in careers pathway
- Utilize student professional network by contacting individuals willing to assist with career development including letters of interest
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of various types of interviews processes
- Complete 2 interviews exhibiting professionalism and answering behavioral questions with strength based responses
- Schedule and complete interview with possible internship supervisor
- Fall 2015 (current quarter)